Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Physical and Mental Workouts

Spring is here and although I heard that our temps might drop next week, this week is heavenly with temps in the low 80's. I intend to enjoy every minute!

CARPE DIEM! The sun energizes me and I deal with wanting to play hooky from writing :)

This is the time of year I love best and it's also harder for writing and blogging because the grass needs mowing, the weeds need pulling and the young plants I've nursed inside during the winter months need repotting or planting outside.

I love playing in the dirt, so I have to wake up earlier to get my yard work done before I sit down to write. My garden is calling me! I find gardening extremely rewarding, gratifying and meditative. I'm not sure I love it as much as I love writing, but it's pretty close! I purposely planned my writing space in the dining room so that I have a view of my front garden which is what I've shared with you here. I'm inspired and soothed with the beautiful views of my garden which in turn, motivate me to keep my butt in my writing chair.

I'm not a gym rat by any stretch of the imagination and I need to lose the weight I usually put on in the winter months, so instead, I work in my yard and tend my gardens -- that's my workout and I love it. Writing and blogging are my mental workouts!

I returned from visiting my father and his wife in Florida to find that the grass had grown three inches, so it's time to mow. I also have to prune the ancient grapevines that should have been pruned in March. I kinda missed that and hope it's not too late now. After I finish writing this blog post, it'll be time to make coffee and mosey outside to brush the cobwebs off the lawn mower and find my pruning shears. I'll check on the growth of the perennials I planted last year along the front fence and have already started thinking of extending the front garden along the side fence. Some plants may need a new location in my garden and weeding is a constant. I'm sure my outdoor table will need a little face lift in the coming weeks and the wicker pieces will need more white paint. There's never a dull moment in a garden and patio, but the rewards are great. The rewards of writing are just as great; I can't imagine doing anything else.

In Spring, I must adhere to a more structured writing schedule because of the demands of maintaining a beautiful, thriving garden which is a pleasure, not a chore to me. Careful editing, pruning, weeding, and rewrites are necessary for a beautiful book. Hard work, perseverance and patience are required by both.

It's also a busy time with the river season opening up. I spend weekends at my river place and as you might guess, I also write and garden out there. I maintain two gardens in spring and summer. I garden early in the morning while it's still cool, I write during the day and enjoy river life in the evenings.

It's great to have such a portable job :) I hope your morning is as beautiful where you are.

Peace and love,
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment