Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 27, 2013

REMEMBERING...



I remember my father telling me the story of his enlistment into the United States Army. He had to have my grandmother's signature when he enlisted in 1949. He was that young. My grandmother didn't want to sign, but she knew her son would go with or without her signature. My father retired from an honorable 30 year career in the US Army as an active duty soldier. He is also Vietnam veteran. My Dad is still that tough ol' Command Sergeant Major despite his 82 years and I'm very proud to be a daughter of a soldier. 

I also remember my ex-husband who served in the US Army for 28 years as well as his father and his brother. All West Point graduates, two Vietnam veterans, one Desert Storm veteran, all three career officers.

I honor my father and all the men and women who have served our country's Armed Forces, at home and abroad, at peace and in times of war and conflict. I am keenly aware of their sacrifices and those of their families as an Army brat and an Army wife of 25 years.

This morning, I attended a wreath laying ceremony in my West Virginia town. It had been a long time since I'd attended a military ceremony. I watched as a mother walked with the President of the Ladies Auxiliary to the our United States flag and laid a wreath for her 20 year son who died in Iraq three years ago and for all the fallen heroes from every war. It was very moving and my tears fell as Taps were played. My heart broke for that mother this morning. Most of us know a family who has lost a son, a daughter, a brother, a sister, a husband, a wife, a mother and a father.

God bless all the men and women who serve today, here and abroad. God bless those who have served in past wars and conflicts. Rest in eternal peace our fallen heroes. All heroes to me.

THANK YOU.





2 comments:

  1. A beautiful post, Ellie. I feel for the families who have lost loved ones in the military, while at the same time, I thank God every day that my Army son has been spared. May it always be so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Linda. I'm with you, it's tough to read or hear about losing any military members, here or abroad. I thank God your son is safe, too. I hear the war is over...may it always be so. Bring everyone home. Be well, my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete