Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Which Leads Me To...

I reread my last blog post and have to tell you that unless a writer has super powers or a clone of themselves, a writer just can't get it ALL done and STILL write a novel that's worth a dime.

Okay, that's a bit dramatic. It IS done and the reality is that I don't know how writers manage to raise well-adjusted children, keep a spouse or romantic partner happy and still have the time to write, publish and market a novel. These writers tend to pay their taxes on time, run for PTA positions, hold a full-time job and run a cottage industry at home.  How in the heck do they do it?

Yes, I realize that organization, focus and discipline are key here. These authors still have time to make basil butter, tend an organic garden and exercise every day to keep up their amazing bodies (tongue in cheek here)...but, that writer isn't me. Unfortunately, when I write, I write all day long. When I garden, I get all into it and when I research, the world disappears for me. I seem to be an all or nothing writer. Or maybe not.

Blogging seems to be the only activity I can do for an hour and leave well alone. Then, I read other blogs. That seems to be the issue here. Not that I don't enjoy reading author and agent blogs, I do, but...

I read author blogs which lead me to their websites which leads me to their books which leads me to research what they've written about which leads me to Goodreads which leads me to their agent's page or blog which leads me to researching the agent which leads me to rewriting my query letter which leads me to sending said query letter to said agent if they're interested in my genre of historical fiction which leads me ordering the 2014 Writer's Digest of Literary Agents which leads me to checking out other books that Amazon has recommended because of my buying history which leads me to wondering why my most recent book hasn't arrived which leads to me checking the mailbox which leads to checking out new mailboxes because mine is getting old which leads me to Home Depot where all bets are off. I'm now into home decorating and simplifying my life by throwing out things that no longer serve me which leads to good feelings which lead to thinking of my manuscript that I haven't touched that day.

Does this happen to you?

THAT is the reality of it, folks. Some days, I lack focus...and this day is no different. I feel distracted and pulled in many directions, mostly what I need to get done in my personal life so that it runs smoothly. I now realize that I accomplished much more in one day when I was married and had children at home. Why? Because I had to. I had limited time and I knew it. I made great use of my time and got so much accomplished. Now that I have all the time in the world as a single lady with no children living at home...not so much. Unless I'm totally immersed.

What's wrong with this picture? I need a DAILY PLAN OF ACTION for writing and other sundry stuff that seem to be as important as writing some days! I need a list and I need to stick to that daily list. And, God knows how much I love writing lists. Another distraction :)

Ellie


4 comments:

  1. Great post and I totally feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meri :) Good to see you, girlfriend! Be well xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie, you crack me up (... which leads me to ... which leads me to ...). Lordy, yes, I have the same problem. I'll start one chore, and 20 minutes later, I've started something else in every room in the house. Every once in a while, it all comes together and the house looks great. And I love lists. I just don't like to DO the things on the lists. What I like is copying the lists over to make them look pretty! That's what's important ... that my list looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! Linda, you and I were most definitely sisters in another life! I love your pretty lists and I'll let you in on another secret of mine--I write down things that I've already done on my list just so that I can cross them off! LOL! That's what a card-carrying Virgo is all about! I've already messed up my list of the day by accepting a coffee invitation with my neighbor because I was out of coffee and cream! Forgot to put those on yesterdays' list! Great to see ya, girlfriend :) xo

    ReplyDelete