Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 31, 2012

Puerto Rican New Year's Eve Tradition



IIITo my The Writing Life friends who have joined my writing journey this year
and
to my family and friends whom I love with all my heart -

I wish you a most wonderful and blessed 2013!

Here's to peace, love, good health, safety and prosperity
for you, for me and our loved ones!

My Puerto Rican family's custom is to individually fill a glass of water sometime during New Year's Eve
 and
 at exactly midnight, throw the water out!
Refill that glass with coquito or champagne!
All the negative, gone!

My family and I have followed this tradition since I was young and I have introduced this family custom to friends from all over the world. 
I have thrown out a glass of water in the many countries I've lived and in many states of the US,
always remembering
my departed loved ones who I've shared many a New Year's Eve with over the years
and
I also remember those friends and family far away from me.

Happy New Year!
Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Cheers from West Virginia!!
Ellie


2 comments:

  1. Feliz Ano Nuevo. Sounds like a great tradition. I really miss the parrandas we had growing up, mami's coquito and al the families together.

    I don't have a NYE tradition but I really want to start one with my little one.

    Hope you have a safe and happy new year

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Irene! Feliz Ano Nuevo to your and your little one, as well. I miss all that, too! It's time you started your own traditions along with your family's traditions :) My kids are grown and on their own now, but they still remember to throw out that water!
    Thanks for your visit, much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete